#52 ✓resolved
Sven Fuchs

Umlauts in permalinks

Reported by Sven Fuchs | August 11th, 2008 @ 11:37 AM | in Sprint #1

German umlauts are just killed when converted to permalinks. It would be nice to have them replaced by German transcriptions like

Ü should be replaced by ue ß should be replaced by ss


This seems to be a shortcoming in acts_as_permalink

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Sven Fuchs

    Sven Fuchs September 22nd, 2008 @ 11:43 AM

    • State changed from “new” to “open”
    • Tag changed from plugin, url to i18n, plugin, url
  • Josh H

    Josh H September 22nd, 2008 @ 03:30 PM

    • Tag changed from i18n, plugin, url to feature, i18n, plugin, url

    Doesn't this go beyond umlauts? You'd want to do this for all diacritics that can be represented as digraphs in the different latin alphabets. I don't think CLDR has good data on this yet. Of course this would be easy to do for a few major alphabets.

  • Clemens Kofler

    Clemens Kofler September 22nd, 2008 @ 04:49 PM

    I've got a method for this in a couple of my projects. I don't know if the rules I set up there conform with languages other than German but we could always expand it later or rebase it on the CLDR.

  • Clemens Kofler

    Clemens Kofler September 22nd, 2008 @ 10:19 PM

    • Assigned user changed from “Sven Fuchs” to “Clemens Kofler”
  • Sven Fuchs

    Sven Fuchs September 23rd, 2008 @ 10:02 AM

    • Tag changed from feature, i18n, plugin, url to bug, i18n, plugin, url

    Let's see this as a bug.

    Clemens, there might be a solution for acts_as_permalink using iconv (or something like that) which might prove a little more generic.

    Josh, I agree this should be solved for all diacritics if possible.

  • Clemens Kofler

    Clemens Kofler September 23rd, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

    I'd love to use the iconv approach but even with the translit flag it still converts the German ä to "a instead of ae (the ß is correctly made into ss, though). Only from the errors in German special chars I'd imagine there are similar errors in other languages.

    The only alternative approach I could propose is to use the data in the CLDR (supplemental/characters.xml). We could load this into a native hash at startup and then use it for translation afterwards.

    What do you think?

  • Josh H

    Josh H September 23rd, 2008 @ 07:11 PM

    IIRC, even the CLDR data gets it wrong in this case.

    -- Josh

    On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Lighthouse support@lighthouseapp.comwrote:

  • Clemens Kofler

    Clemens Kofler September 23rd, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

    So what would be the best choice in this case? As far as I can see, the CLDR may still be the most reliable source.

  • Josh H

    Josh H September 23rd, 2008 @ 10:35 PM

    I think we'd have to do custom cases for German, and add other languages as needed. I don't know of any official source that does it right.

    On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Lighthouse support@lighthouseapp.comwrote:

  • Sven Fuchs

    Sven Fuchs September 28th, 2008 @ 10:29 PM

    • Milestone changed from Release 0.1.0 to Sprint #1
  • Clemens Kofler

    Clemens Kofler September 29th, 2008 @ 02:59 PM

    • State changed from “open” to “resolved”

    Finished. Put it in permalink_fu_ext for now.

    See #72 for next steps that could be done in this area.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

<p>Cutting edge cms, blog, wiki, forum ... plattform.</p>

<p>Find the code on <a href="http://github.com/svenfuchs/adva_cms/tree/master">GitHub: adva cms</a></p>

<p>Part of the business application framework <a href="http://www.advabest.org/">adva best</a>.</p>

People watching this ticket

Referenced by